Sunday, November 4, 2012

R.I.P. John D. Squires (1948-2012)

John D. Squires at Pulpfest 2010*
I'm very saddened to note here the passing of the eminent Shielian, John D. Squires, on 2 November 2012, at the age of sixty-four.  He had been in ill-health for several years.  Our condolences go out to his daughter and other family members, and to his many friends.  John was one of the world authorities on the life and writings of M.P. Shiel, among his many other interests. Professionally he practiced law, having received his advanced degree at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, after his undergraduate degree from Harvard University. A number of John's essays related to M.P. Shiel can be found online here (scroll down, where they can be found in a special section). A memorial service will be held in Greensboro, North Carolina.

*Photo from Morgan Holmes's report of Pulpfest 2010.

5 comments:

  1. Doug, let me join you in lamenting this sad news. John used to often send me, and others, the latest news of his researches into Shiel and his wider circle, and his messages were always fascinating to read. He was also generous in sharing his knowledge with others, and always willing to help with questions. The work he did on Shiel has been absolutely invaluable and will stand as his lasting literary memorial. "A scholar and a gentleman" - never were the words truer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my own work on Shiel was laid aside in 1964 it was John's pestering Ren Morse to get Shiel back on a front burner by 1980, and for continuing his own research after that time. I still think of something I want to ask, or share with John on a daily basis. But I miss those virtually daily exchanges on Shiel and others. He continues to be blessed by his pretty daughter Mrs. Misty Peeler and his several grandchildren. What a worker he was! Thanks, John. --Harold Billings

      Delete
  2. Dear Shielian Friends, I have just known that John has left us. I met John years ago, I was still an University student and he gave me a big help with my studies and my thesis on Shiel's Purple Cloud. He was generous in sharing all his Shielian knowledges and we spent a lot of time writing and discussing on our favourite Kingdom : Floreat Redonda! All the best John ! Giancarlo Binelli from Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is crazy. It's been a few years since I corresponded with John and today went to send him a link I thought he'd appreciate and just learned. I can't believe it's been this long since we last touched base. Sorry to hear about this, I'll miss his lengthy emails (I have a large pile of his correspondence going back to the late 1970's!).

    ReplyDelete